This St. Emilion estate, which dates back to 1745, was once part of the larger domaine that included Chateau Pavie. A century later it was bought by Raymond Troplong whose name was added to the label. Later Alexandre Valette a Parisian vintner bought the estate in 1980 his great-granddaughter Christine took over the estate. In 2006 the vineyard was selected to Premier Grand Cru Classe status. Thick limestone and dense clay make this vineyard perfect for growing Merlot (which comprises 90% of the vineyards). Wines produced from this estate are powerful and contain complex tannins. The remaining plantings are divided equally between Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon. In 1985 the chateau introduced the second label Mondot, which has gained clout as a grand cru in its own right. More recently Christine Valette has produced a rose called Le Clairet de Mondot.