Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of <a href="">website accessibility</a>
  • Home
  • 2003 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes

2003 Domaine de la Janasse Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes

  • 97 WA
  • 96 WS
  • 95 IWC
  • Variety
    Red Rhône Blend

learn more about producers & collectors

SKU: 47370-2003-1500

This item is available by the case only


This is a final sale item

Not eligible for cancellations or refunds

  • International Wine Cellar | Rating: 95

    ($95) Saturated dark red. Explosively aromatic, highly complex nose offers kirsch, raspberry liqueur, blueberry, tarragon, baking spices, smoked meat, espresso and hot asphalt. Lush and hefty but suave, with rich flavors of sweet dark berries, framboise, candied chocolate and licorice that build and deepen with aeration. A brisk mineral note keeps the fruit in check and adds focus and lift to the knockout, silky finish.
    Author: Josh Raynolds
    Issue: January/February 2006
  • Wine Advocate | Rating: 97

    A wine I've had more than a case of, sometimes with irregular results, the 2003 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes was drinking about as good as it gets on this occasion. As usual, it's made in a deeper, richer style than the Chaupin and offers thrilling texture, a smoking mid-palate and nothing but gorgeous Grenache fruit on the finish. Loaded with notions of blackberry liqueur, kirsch, fruit cake and spice, enjoy this knockout effort over the coming 2-4 years or so.
    Author: Jeb Dunnuck
  • Wine Spectator | Rating: 96

    Gorgeous raspberry ganache and spice aromas give way to richly layered but silky smooth notes of boysenberry, blackberry, mocha, mineral and tar. Long, pure beam of fruit resonates through the finish. Fantastic purity and finesse for the vintage.
    Author: James Molesworth
  • Self | Rating: 92

    Author: RDV
  • Self | Rating: 96

    Author: gotwine
  • Self | Rating: 94

    colour was slightly lighter than expected; rich and sweet nose with spices and alcohol; on the palate it was port-like -- hardly surprising considering it was 15 degrees -- with strong black cherry flavours; the tannins were almost completely gone; not sure how many more years it will last but lovely now
    Author: TAs Super Cellar
  • Self | Rating: 93

    Medium purple red with thick essentially colorless legs. Piercing sweet cherry and raspberry, anise, and muted pepper scents ? a lilting simply gorgeous nose. Plenty of tannins but they are quite velvety especially for this vintage. Deep juicy and youthful fruit on the palate with loads of chocolate coming on during the finish. 85% Grenache, 10% Syrah, 3% Mourv?dre, and 2% |Other|. Janasse?s vines on average are over 80 years old. 75% of the wine was aged in foudre with the remaining 25% in barrique (40% of which was new). Janasse eschews filtering the Cuv?e.
    Drink Dates: 2008-2014+
    Author: Daniel B
Up until 1973, patriarch and proprietor Aime Sabon sold the entire production of this estate to cooperatives. In 1991, his son Christophe took over the running of the Domaine La Janasse, named after a family camp in Courthezon. The grapes that go into the "Cuvee Chaupin" come from a parcel of vines planted in 1912 and produce the pure, graceful, yet opulent and firmly structured wines for which the domaine has become renowned. Roughly a quarter of these wines are AOC Chateauneuf du Pape.

See other similar producers:Chateau Beaucastel,Chateau Rayas

Collector Data For This Wine

  • 1387 bottles owned
  • 223 collectors
  • Average collector rating: 94
    (Out of 223 collectors)