Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of <a href="https://userway.org">website accessibility</a>
  • Home
  • 2000 Luigi Einaudi Barolo Costa Grimaldi

2000 Luigi Einaudi Barolo Costa Grimaldi

ITALY / PIEDMONT /
  • 91 WA
  • 96 WS
  • 89 IWC
  • Variety
    Nebbiolo

Out of stock

learn more about producers & collectors

SKU: 43720-2000-750

This item is available by the case only

Total:
$79.95

This is a final sale item

Not eligible for cancellations or refunds

  • International Wine Cellar | Rating: 89

    ($86) Medium red. Reticent aromas of raspberry, cherry and menthol. Sweet and minty, with rather forward fruit flavors and limited complexity. Offers broader tannins than the normale but still finishes a tad dry.
    Author: Stephen Tanzer
    Issue: November/December 2004
  • Wine Advocate | Rating: 91

    The 2000 Barolo Costa Grimaldi has developed beautifully in bottle. Truffles, autumn leaves, spices, leather and licorice are some of the notes that take shape in the glass. There is more than enough fruit and structure to ensure another 8-10 years of very fine drinking. Floral notes reappear on the finish, adding freshness and lift.
    Author: Antonio Galloni
  • Wine Spectator | Rating: 96

    This is absolutely gorgeous on the nose, with loads of fresh fruit and a perfumed, floral aroma that brings you to tears. Full-bodied, with wonderfully silky tannins and a long, caressing finish. Still very closed. Best wine ever from this producer.
    Author: James Suckling
  • Self | Rating: 94

    Einaudi chooses the top 20% of the vineyard's production to bottle as his Costa Grimaldi. The remaining 80% is sold as Einaudi's generic Barolo. Tight but concentrated nose of red fruits, licorice, some rose, and slight truffle. Round and ripe with tons of concentrated fruit. Significantly tannic with high acidity, but the wine's concentration has no problem handling its structure. I bought a case for my personal cellar.
    Drink Dates: 2016-2030
    Author: Daniel B
  • Self | Rating: 92

    medium purple. nose mushrooms, cedar, forest floor. Nice red fruit and earth flavors. Good acidity and medium-long finish. This drank very nicely
    Author: Front Man
Piedmont, which literally means “foot of the mountain,” produces some of Italy's finest red wines. Its clay, limestone, and sand soils are home to the legendary Barolo and Barbaresco wines, made from the extremely age-worthy Nebbiolo variety. Dolcetto and Barbera are considered to be more “workhorse” varieties, and produce the largest quantity of wine. The region is tucked in the cool northwest corner of the country, surrounded on three sides by the Alps. Fog often blankets the region, ensuring long, cool growing seasons. 

Nebbiolo is the king of Piedmont, and usually the only grape in the Barolo and Barbaresco wines of this Italian region. A continental climate brings long summers and a substantial amount of rainfall, allowing for extended time on the vine and optimal ripeness. As a result, Nebbiolo is high in both acid and tannin, bringing a beautiful balance to these wines and making them suitable for long-term ageing. The typical flavors of Nebbiolo include red currant, strawberry, roses, leather, and anise.

In Barolo, with its high altitude, Nebbiolo develops perfumed aromas of sour cherries, herbs, and dried flowers. Barolo DOCG wines must be aged for a minimum of three years with at least 18 months in oak before release. Further ageing in bottle adds complex aromas of truffle, tar, and leather. Nebbiolo from Barbaresco is less perfumed and must be aged for a minimum of two years with at least nine months in oak before release.  Some of the best examples of this variety come from Bruno Giacosa, Gaja, Giacomo Conterno, and Roberto Voerzio.

The delicate aromas, bold tannin, and high acid of Nebbiolo pair best with foods high in butter, fat and olive oil. Classic examples include truffles, prosciutto, boar ragu, pork loin, and a range of cheeses, but it is also a great match for Asian cuisine.

Collector Data For This Wine

  • 282 bottles owned
  • 53 collectors
  • Average collector rating: 93
    (Out of 53 collectors)