About This Producer
Chateau Clinet is located at the highest point of the Pomerol Plateau on the famous Gunz gravel terrace, origin of the appellation's most prestigious crus. Clinet's reputation as a fine wine producer was already established by the 19thC. The property belonged to the Constant Family before passing into the hands of the Arnaud Family, who were at the same time owners of Chateau Petrus. From 1900 to 1991, Clinet belonged to the Audy family, a large Bordaux negociant.
The arrival of managing director Jean-Michel Arcaute in the early 1980s marked a real turning point in the wines of Clinet. He introduced revolutionary changes to the status quo: green harvest, leaf thinning, delaying harvest until physiological ripeness had been reached and reducing the percentage of the Cabernets in favor of the more suitable Merlot, among other important modifications.
Jean-Michel Arcaute remained on as managing director after Chateau was purchased by the GAN insurance company in 1991. In 1998, Chateau Clinet was bought by Jean-Louis Laborde who devoted all his energy and vision to pursuing the evolution inspired by the preceding owners. The estate has been run since 2003 by his son, Ronan. Ronan Laborde and his winemaker Roman are the youngest team in the Union des Grands Crus.